from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic superclass within the subphylum Vertebrata — the jawless fishes, or agnathans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a class of eel-shaped chordates with a cartilaginous skeleton lacking jaws, scales, and pelvic fins. Among these are the lampreys and hagfishes. There are some extinct forms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A section of geophilous gastropods destitute of jaws.
- A class of fishes, or fishlike vertebrates, characterized by the absence of jaws and shoulder-girdle. It contains the extinct ostracoderms and the existing lampreys.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. superclass of eel-shaped chordates lacking jaws and pelvic fins: lampreys; hagfishes; some extinct forms
Lampreys and hagfish, jawless fish belonging to an ancient class called Agnatha figure in the exam, and are still often discussed in evolutionary biology, for example, where researchers debate the evolution of the jaw, necessary for eating all sorts of food.
A rift between them widens when Todd departs abruptly to meet Agnatha (Shannon Burkett) in
Todd and Bryan's communication impasse is matched by an extended estrangement between Agnatha and her hard-partying sister, Tess (also Burkett), who beds the despondent Bryan in New York.
'' are examples of these jawless fish or [[Agnatha]].