from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
- adjective Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
- adjective Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
- adjective Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.
- noun A native or inhabitant of America.
- noun A citizen of the United States.
- noun American English.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Pertaining to the western hemisphere; belonging to or situated in either North or South America: as, the Amazon and other American rivers.
- In a more restricted sense, pertaining to the United States: as, an American citizen.
- noun A native or an inhabitant of the western hemisphere, or, specifically, of North America: originally applied to the aboriginal races discovered by the Europeans, but now to the descendants of Europeans born in America, and, in the most restricted or popular sense, to the citizens of the United States.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A native of America; -- originally applied to the aboriginal inhabitants, but now applied to the descendants of Europeans born in America, and especially to the citizens of the United States.
- adjective Of or pertaining to America.
- adjective Of or pertaining to the United States.
- adjective See
- adjective (U. S. Politics) a party, about 1854, which opposed the influence of foreign-born citizens, and those supposed to owe allegiance to a foreign power.
- adjective (U. S. Politics) a party of principles similar to those of the American party. It arose about 1843, but soon died out.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
inhabitantof the Americas. More often this is specified as either North American, Central American or South American.
- proper noun The English language as spoken in the USA;
- adjective Of or pertaining to the
Americas. More often this is specified as either "North American" or "South American."
- adjective Of, from, or pertaining to the
United States of America, its people or its culture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the English language as used in the United States
- adjective of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and islands of the Americas
- noun a native or inhabitant of the United States
- noun a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country
- adjective of or relating to the United States of America or its people or language or culture
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
"GRAPHIC MASTERS III: HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE SMITHSONIAN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM" The third in a series of special installations celebrates the variety and accomplishment of American artists 'works on paper, including watercolors, pastels and drawings from the 1960s to the 1990s.
It convinces me more and more everyday that MODERN AMERICAN CONSERVATISM/ RESPUBLICANISM does not belong in the American future
AMERICAN IDIOTS yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'AMERICAN IDIOTS'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: The American people\'s ignorance, stupidity, and disinterest in the governance of this nation have allowed an oligopoly of politicians, bankers, and powerful corporations to seize control of the country and loot its riches for their personal gain.
Diary Entry by Jim Quinn (about the author) yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'AMERICAN IDIOTS'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'The American people\'s ignorance, stupidity, and disinterest in the governance of this nation have allowed an oligopoly of politicians, bankers, and powerful corporations to seize control of the country and loot its riches for their personal gain.
EDWARD LIDDY, CEO, AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL GROUP: We have heard the American people loudly and clearly these past few days.
DAN STEIN, FEDERATION FOR AMERICAN IMMIGRATION REFORM: There's no way the American people are going to understand a move -- a big move for an immigration amnesty now is anything other than a naked party power grab of putting party interests above public interests.
He will LEAD THE AMERICAN PEOPLE to change the status quo, because it can only be done if the American people and the President work together to bring it about.
ELEANOR HARVEY, SMITHSONIAN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM: What you can expect to see is the largest and most comprehensive American art collection anywhere in the world.
There is no such thing as an african/american, those are two continents, your either African or your an American.
TRAVELING ON THE AMERICAN PLANVacation travel has always been an essential part of the American dream.