from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of any of the peoples indigenous to the Americas except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of some indigenous peoples of the Americas, especially the United States, but excluding the Inuit, Yupik, and Aleuts.
- n. An indigenous person from the United States.
- adj. Relating to the indigenous peoples of the Americas or their languages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a red-skinned member of a race of people living in North America when Europeans arrived.
While an ecclesiastic worthy of high respect, and a teacher who has left a good record in the short period he devoted himself to instruction, Brasseur de Bourbourg was, above all, an indefatigable student of the American Indian of his past and present.
I opened my eyes and, maintaining the connection like an Eastern yogi meditating, a priest deep in the contemplative practice of walking a labyrinth, a rabbi praying, a Sufi dervish spinning, an American Indian entering the circle of the Sun Dance, an inspired artist channeling a masterpiece, I too was connected.
I grimaced — both at the nickname, which was Greg’s tribute to my one-eighth American Indian ancestry, and at the task ahead.
My thanks to Carol Breakstone for American Indian lore; to Beth Meacham for Octagon Mound and Flint Ridge; to Wayne Williams for heroic patience; and to my great-great-grandfather Joseph for the stories behind the story in this book.
The American Indian tribe that operates Foxwoods Resort Casino says it has reached a preliminary deal with most of its senior lenders to extend its current forbearance agreement until the end of April.
An early illustration of this type of investigation was Wissler’s (1914, 1923) study of the diffusion of horses from Spanish explorers to American Indian tribes in the West (see Chapter 5), and the spread of corn growing from the American Indians to European settlers.