from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of any of the peoples indigenous to the Americas except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of some indigenous peoples of the Americas, especially the United States, but excluding the Inuit, Yupik, and Aleuts.
- n. An indigenous person from the United States.
- adj. Relating to the indigenous peoples of the Americas or their languages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a red-skinned member of a race of people living in North America when Europeans arrived.
As I recall, the weapons of mass destruction for the American Indian was the Winchester.
For centuries, American Indian culture has been attacked and exploited by our new dominant culture.
My film work has given me an unusual opportunity to learn what our text books do not teach us about American Indian history and culture.
But the collection does not shrink from issues like race, shown in works by Kara Walker and Kerry James Marshall, or the American Indian experience, which is covered extensively, starting with the collection's earliest painting, James Wooldridge's "Indians of Virginia" c.1675.
It exemplifies one of the show's underemphasized strengths—revealing the effect of cross-cultural influences on American Indian artists.
Stone and wooden objects depicting animals in pre-Colombian, African and American Indian art have long fascinated Ms. McKie.
For without unity, American Indian artist only rob themselves of opportunities.
Where Art Worlds Meet As the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian kicks off its exhibit "This IS Hawai'i," indigenous Hawaiian, Native American and Aboriginal artists like Puni Kukahiko and Alan Michelson talk about the current art scene in their home regions. 4 p.m.
We have already received a gift of tremendous value from the American Indian people.
It is a run-of-the-mill call center in a cookie-cutter suburban office park, except for this: At least a dozen payday lenders doing business through AMG are owned by American Indian tribes.