from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of eastern Georgia on the South Carolina border north-northwest of Savannah. It is a popular resort known especially for its golf tournaments. Population: 189,000.
- The capital of Maine, in the southwest part of the state on the Kennebec River north-northeast of Portland. A trading post was established here in 1628. Population: 18,600.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in east central Georgia, USA also see Disgusta.
- proper n. The capital city of the state of Maine, USA
- proper n. A female given name, feminine of Augustus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given in Central America to a valuable timbertree, the botanical relations of which are unknown.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in eastern Georgia north-northwest of Savannah; noted for golf tournaments
- n. the capital of the state of Maine
Sorry, no etymologies found.
_Per Augusta ad Augusta_, in which I summarized and applied Dr. Martineau's teaching, as I do not think I can do it more clearly or in more condensed form.
AUGUSTA -- An Augusta man has succumbed to severe injuries after his Eastern Avenue home burned Wednesday.
AUGUSTA - State Fire Marshal's Office says an arrest warrant has been issued for an Augusta man charging him in connection with last year's fire in Vassalboro that destroyed the Grandview Topless Coffee Shop, according to a release issued by the Maine Department of Public Safety Tuesday.
AUGUSTA (GaeaTimes. com) - Phil Mickelson's win at the Masters in Augusta was overshadowed, somewhat if not completely, by the fact that the audience chose to look the other way while he celebrated his victory.
AUGUSTA (April 8): Room 202 of the Cross Office Building in Augusta was filled Monday morning with high school students, teachers, school superintendents, principals, board members and one parent, all supporting a measure to change what they consider a state invasion of privacy.
AUGUSTA -- On May 7, 2005, the Maine Elks Association (MEA) honored several youths from across the State of Maine as part of their 76th Annual State Convention held in Augusta, including Tayla Martin, who was sponsored by the Millinocket Elks Lodge.
AUGUSTA - Ella Parsons, 98, formerly of Boyd passed away Sunday, March 8, 2009, at the Augusta Area Nursing Home, Augusta.
AUGUSTA -- On June 14, 2006, the Maine Elks Association (MEA) held its annual Flag Day service at the Togus V.A. Medical Center in Augusta.
AUGUSTA (Oct 1): Sherry Quimby of Waldoboro was awarded the 2008 Excellence in Long Term Care Award at the Blaine House in Augusta on Sept. 24
See James 2001, 119–22 on the women who received the title Augusta in late antiquity.