from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A conifer used during the Christmas holiday season, typically decorated with lights and ornaments and often a star or angel at its tip.
- n. A pole with lights, similar to a traffic signal, used for signalling the start of an automobile race.
- n. The collection of valves sometimes found at the top of a working oil well.
- n. A pattern of muscles visible in the lower back, shaped to look like a conifer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small evergreen tree, set up indoors, to be decorated with bonbons, presents, etc., and illuminated on Christmas eve.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tall timber tree of central and southern Europe having a regular crown and grey bark
- n. medium to tall fir of western North America having a conic crown and branches in tiers; leaves smell of orange when crushed
- n. Australian tree or shrub with red flowers; often used in Christmas decoration
- n. an ornamented evergreen used as a Christmas decoration
- n. a terrestrial evergreen shrub or small tree of western Australia having brilliant yellow-orange flowers; parasitic on roots of grasses
She had learned in America the pretty German theory of the Christmas tree and all the Christmas gifts, referring them to the "Christ-kind" (Christ Child) and how she was to hang her stocking at the foot of her bed and to find it full of delight the next morning.
On returning from their mission he and his men had lit the candles on the Christmas tree Colany had decorated earlier that day.
What could I say when the present my grandparents reluctantly shoved under the Christmas tree was a board game titled Chutzpah?
We had a dress ball to celebrate, and oh, you should have seen it with all the candles glowing and an eighteen-foot Christmas tree in the corner there!
He stood out like a Christmas tree in his sharply creased gray flannel slacks and his bright green sweater worn over a white shirt and a gray-and-green-striped tie.
There was a roaring fire in the brick fireplace with stockings hung over it, and a gigantic Christmas tree blocking the entire windowand therefore, the view of the beach.
He had just left the dormitory and the warm uproar there of preparations for Candy's wedding on the morrow, a pleasant atmosphere of lamplight and pine boughs and last week's Christmas tree still standing in the parlor, its slightly tattered finery reminding him for some reason of Emperor Norton I.
The seventeen members of the Red Bantam Clan gathered around the Holy Tube and the small aluminum Christmas tree near the hearth.
At 12: 29, a neon lawn display featuring Santa Claus and his helpers short-circuited, shooting flames along the electrical cord to its inside terminus — a plug attached to a maze of adapters fueling a large, brightly lit Christmas tree and nativity scene — severely burning three children heaping tissue-wrapped presents on a glow-in-the-dark baby Jesus.
It's years since Casey lit up like a Christmas tree or said anything when I … the hdl with that.