from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A river rising in northeast New Mexico and flowing about 1,123 km (698 mi) eastward across southwest Kansas to the Arkansas River in northern Oklahoma.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Spanish-American name of the bighorn or Rocky Mountain sheep, Ovis montana.
- n. [capitalized] In the Philippine Islands, a name given to members of various poor wandering tribes, mostly descendants of civilized natives who have fled to the mountain forests.
- n. A West-Indian name for a wild (feral) dog.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a river that rises in northeastern New Mexico and flows eastward into Oklahoma where it becomes a tributary of the Arkansas River
- n. wild sheep of mountainous regions of western North America having massive curled horns
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Big took me to the vast ranches of Texas, and in Cimarron I'm experiencing the Oklahoma Land Rush and the hardships of the first settlements.
Cimarron is a Mexican hybrid word, descended from the Apache who spent many nights in these same buffalo wallows.
Little Blackie, aka Cimarron of the Coen Brothers' film, charges through the winter night bearing his two riders, one oversized, the other a delirious girl, his savior from the glue factory.
Father had first supposed that the prairies beside the Cimarron might be a good place to start a Virginia-style plantation, but he wisely discarded that notion while the barn was just half built.
One, dubbed the Cimarron, uses gravity to push the water from the tank into the bowl.
Tri-State says the plant, called the Cimarron I Solar Project, is the largest photovoltaic project by an electric cooperative.
(These workshop productions, including works by Satie and Kagel, as well as Henze's "Cimarron," are some of the most interesting fare of Jürgen Flimm's inaugural season, and will form the basis of a new music theater festival in 2011.)
Using the wall phone inside the little building, Eric called the Cimarron County Sheriff’s Department and the dispatcher gave him the combination to a lock that held the key to the airport’s courtesy car.
Cimarron which is a 2002 animated film that was released by DreamWorks Pictures.
"Cimarron," "The Greatest Show on Earth" or "Gigi" even being greenlit today, but all were popular choices with audiences and Academy voters in their day.