from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- David Died c. 962 B.C. The second king of Judah and Israel. According to the Bible, he slew the Philistine giant Goliath and succeeded Saul as king. He is the reputed author of many of the Psalms.
- David, Saint c. 520-601. Patron saint of Wales. His shrine at St. David's in southwest Wales was an important place of pilgrimage during the Middle Ages.
- David, Gerard 1460?-1523. Dutch painter of religious subjects who is regarded as one of the most important Flemish primitives.
- David, Jacques Louis 1748-1825. French painter known for his classicism and his commitment to the ideals of the French Revolution. His works include The Oath of the Horatii (1785) and The Death of Marat (1793).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A male given name.
- proper n. The second king of Judah and Israel, the successor of Saul.
- proper n. A patronymic surname common in Wales.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete form of davit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. French neoclassical painter who actively supported the French Revolution (1748-1825)
- n. patron saint of Wales (circa 520-600)
- n. (Old Testament) the 2nd king of the Israelites; as a young shepherd he fought Goliath (a giant Philistine warrior) and killed him by hitting him in the head with a stone flung from a sling; he united Israel with Jerusalem as its capital; many of the Psalms are attributed to David (circa 1000-962 BC)
DAVID SALTSBURG/ZUMA DOGG - David had been sitting at the forum with an upset look on his face for much of the event.
DAVID SALTSBURG/ZUMA DOGG - David has been fighting for the community for three years now, trying to stop shady behavior at City Hall.
Suppose further that, on Tuesday, the artist sculpts the clay into the form of the biblical king David and names his statue ˜David™.
Lewis (1979b) and Soames (1999) hold that, if David has an appropriate number and distribution of hairs on his head, then ˜David is bald™ may be true in one context and false in another.
DAVID LETTERMAN, HOST: I get a call from mom and mom says, well, David, I see you didn't get "The Tonight Show" again.
FATHER OF MURDER VICTIM, DAVID METZLER: David was just a laid back, just tender-hearted loving kid that liked to have fun.
DAVID HAYE David "Hayemaker" Haye, a big puncher with a big personality, may be the best hope to revive boxing's listless heavyweight division.
NBC CORRESPONDENT DAVID BLOOM: (OFF-MIKE) Mentor to David and not just a mentor, but a father figure in a sense and a dear friend.
MARK READ, DAVID RATTRAY'S FRIEND: And he came running out, and his beloved wife was there being confronted by this - this specter with a gun, and David screamed at her and pushed her to the ground and advanced on this man, who removed his life.
TERRY HICKS, FATHER OF DAVID HICKS: David has been through an extraordinary ordeal for more than five years.