from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- Patron saint of Wales. His shrine at St. David's in southwest Wales was an important place of pilgrimage during the Middle Ages.
- Jacques Louis,French painter known for his classicism and his commitment to the ideals of the French Revolution. His works include The Oath of the Horatii (1785) and The Death of Marat (1793).
- The second king of Judah and Israel. According to the Bible, he slew the Philistine giant Goliath and succeeded Saul as king. He is the reputed author of many of the Psalms.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An obsolete form of
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun A male
- proper noun The
second kingof Judahand Israel, the successorof Saul.
- proper noun A
patronymic surnamecommon in Wales.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun French neoclassical painter who actively supported the French Revolution (1748-1825)
- noun patron saint of Wales (circa 520-600)
- noun (Old Testament) the 2nd king of the Israelites; as a young shepherd he fought Goliath (a giant Philistine warrior) and killed him by hitting him in the head with a stone flung from a sling; he united Israel with Jerusalem as its capital; many of the Psalms are attributed to David (circa 1000-962 BC)
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Lewis (1979b) and Soames (1999) hold that, if David has an appropriate number and distribution of hairs on his head, then ˜David is bald™ may be true in one context and false in another.
DAVID LETTERMAN, HOST: I get a call from mom and mom says, well, David, I see you didn't get "The Tonight Show" again.
DAVID SALTSBURG/ZUMA DOGG - David had been sitting at the forum with an upset look on his face for much of the event.
DAVID SALTSBURG/ZUMA DOGG - David has been fighting for the community for three years now, trying to stop shady behavior at City Hall.
FATHER OF MURDER VICTIM, DAVID METZLER: David was just a laid back, just tender-hearted loving kid that liked to have fun.
Suppose further that, on Tuesday, the artist sculpts the clay into the form of the biblical king David and names his statue ˜David™.
NBC CORRESPONDENT DAVID BLOOM: (OFF-MIKE) Mentor to David and not just a mentor, but a father figure in a sense and a dear friend.
DAVID HAYE David "Hayemaker" Haye, a big puncher with a big personality, may be the best hope to revive boxing's listless heavyweight division.
MARK READ, DAVID RATTRAY'S FRIEND: And he came running out, and his beloved wife was there being confronted by this - this specter with a gun, and David screamed at her and pushed her to the ground and advanced on this man, who removed his life.
TERRY HICKS, FATHER OF DAVID HICKS: David has been through an extraordinary ordeal for more than five years.