from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vacant space, or gap, esp. between teeth in a jaw.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoöl. and anatomy, an interval between any two consecutive teeth, especially between any two series or kinds of teeth, as between the canines and premolars or incisors, or among the incisors, as in many bats.
- n. In ancient Greek music, an interval. Also diastem.
- n. In cytology, the pale region in the cytoplasm or area of sparser protoplasmic fibrillæ which foreshadows the division-plane in karyokinesis, or indirect cell-division.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gap or vacant space between two teeth
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“It was a metaphor for the separation I was feeling,” said Mr. Delfin, who called his spring 2009 collection “Diastema,” the medical term for a space between two teeth, usually in front.
Massive zygomatic Diastema (gap) arch through which jaw muscles pass Protruding muzzle Foramen magnum positioned at rear Large incisors Massive jaw Large molars for Large canines used as with no chin grinding vegetation defensive weapons