from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- A country of eastern Africa on the Gulf of Aden. Djibouti was a French colony from 1896 until 1946 and a territory from 1946 until its independence in 1977. It was called French Somaliland from 1896 to 1967 and the French Territory of Afars and Issas from 1967 to 1977. Djibouti is the capital and largest city.
- The capital and largest city of Djibouti, in the southeast part of the country on an inlet of the Gulf of Aden. It was founded by the French in 1888.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun Country in Eastern
Africa, official name: Republic of Djibouti
- proper noun The capital city of Djibouti.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun port city on the Gulf of Aden; the capital and largest city of Djibouti
- noun a country in northeastern Africa on the Somali peninsula; formerly under French control but became independent in 1997
Sorry, no etymologies found.
DJIBOUTI - At least nine people were killed when cattle rustlers clashed with Ethiopian and Djiboutian soldiers earlier this week in western Djibouti, truck drivers arriving from the area said Friday.
DJIBOUTI - Four members of an outlawed opposition group were charged with advocating armed rebellion in Djibouti, witnesses said.
DJIBOUTI - A court in the Red Sea state of Djibouti jailed a leading human rights leader for three months for slander and spreading false information, court officials said.
DJIBOUTI -- Sixty Somalis are believed to have drowned after their crowded dhow sank in rough seas off of Djibouti.
DJIBOUTI - Sixty Somalis are believed to have drowned after their crowded dhow sank in rough seas off of Djibouti.
DJIBOUTI VILLE, Djibouti, 6 July 2010 - In the scorching heat of a June morning, boys and young men from the PK 12 neighbourhood, on the outskirts of Djibouti Ville, are gathered in front of a large container competing in a game of babyfoot, a.k.a. table football.
Source: Reuters (Updates with Sharif announcing candidacy, paragraph 6) By David Clarke and Abdiaziz Hassan DJIBOUTI, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Somalia's parliament met in neighbouring Djibouti on Saturday to discuss ...
DJIBOUTI (April 1, 2009) A landing craft air cushion from Assault Craft Unit (ACU) 5 leaves a beach during an exercise near Camp Lemonier, Djibouti.
DJIBOUTI (April 1, 2009) A light armored vehicle disembarks from a landing craft air cushion (LCAC) after landing on the beach during an exercise near Camp Lemonier, Djibouti.
Source: Reuters By David Clarke DJIBOUTI, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Somalia's parliament met in neighbouring Djibouti on Saturday to discuss how to include the moderate Islamist opposition in a new government ...
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.