from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of east-central Germany on the Elbe River east-southeast of Leipzig. An industrial and cultural center, it was severely damaged in bombing raids during World War II. Its china industry was moved to Meissen in the early 18th century. Population: 505,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital city of the German Federal State of Saxony.
- proper n. A village in Kent County, Ontario, Canada.
- n. A variety of china, originally manufactured in the city, but manufactured in Meissen from the 18th century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in southeastern Germany on the Elbe River; it was almost totally destroyed by British air raids in 1945
Sorry, no etymologies found.
DRESDEN -- Bargain hunters, dressed in their pajamas, were out early to find the best deals at the village shops in Dresden during the seventh annual Pajama Party.
DRESDEN -- One-by-one, the boys carefully put their cars on the track and waited to see whose car would finish first at the annual Pinewood Derby for Cub Scout Pack 121 of Dresden.
DRESDEN - The community of Dresden has been rocked by several recent fires, yet remain resilient and together.
DRESDEN - The three fires in Dresden this year appear not to be related nor do the first two appear to be arson, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.
DRESDEN - Open enrollment applications for the 2009-2010 school year for Tri-Valley Local Schools may be picked up at the district office, 36 E. Muskingum Avenue, Dresden.
DRESDEN -- When people come home to Dresden for the holiday on Saturday, they will find the village has been transformed by the glow of the Christmas lights.
DRESDEN -- The streets were alive with friends, family and bright colorful lights as the village of Dresden celebrated its annual Come Home for the Holiday event.
DRESDEN -- A $5,000 reward is being offered for information regarding several fires in Dresden this year.
DRESDEN -- The second phase of sewer upgrades in Dresden will soon go ahead, the Chatham-Kent public utilities commission says.
Unfortunately (from my point of view at least) the Frauenkirche in Dresden is being rebuilt; as a ruin it was very strongly symbolic while now it is only a church, and not a particularly interesting one from an artistic or architectural point of view.