from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A section of New York City in northern Queens on western Long Island. Flushing Meadow was the site of two world's fairs (1939-1940 and 1964-1965) and the temporary headquarters of the United Nations (1946-1949).
- See Vlissingen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A heavy, coarse cloth manufactured from shoddy; -- commonly in the �
- n. A surface formed of floating threads.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A glow of red, as in the face: as, the disease is characterized by frequent flushings of the face.
- n. The act of drenching with a copious flow; a washing out.
- n. In weaving, a thread which, in process of twilling, spans several threads of the warp without intersection; a floating.
- n. A kind of stout woolen cloth.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Is it me, or am I the only one who thinks that the Bon Chon in Flushing is VASTLY superior to the one in Manhattan?
She played like a winner over two weeks in Flushing Meadows, including that 6-2, 6-2 victory that ended the magical run of 17-year-old Melanie Oudin, whose rapid rise was the story of the tournament for the first 10 days.
Shooting over the course of two years while bunking in Flushing, Ms. Paravel and Mr. Sniadecki worked hard to establish personal connections to the people and an aesthetic appreciation for the run-down environs.
She remembers wanting to be an actress when she was growing up in Flushing, Queens, where her parents, Pam, a nurse, and John, the owner of a small trucking business, supported her ambitions.
Results varied from a refund of $811.96 recommended in Flushing, N.Y., to a tax-due figure of $52.13 demanded by the IRS office in Portland, Ore ….
Spicy and Tasty in Flushing, Queens is another good example.
Of course the film library was in Flushing Queens.
It was in Flushing, Queens, at the end of the line of the #7 train.
I rather hit up other estabs. in Flushing or Chinatown for xiao long bao.
If you wanted to see what people love so much about Kyochon in Flushing or other cities, you probably should have waited for the Midtown location to get things right before trying it for the first time (and calling those people wrong.)