from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The myth of the destruction of the gods in a final battle with the forces of evil; the apocalypse.
- n. Any cataclysmic downfall or momentous, apocalyptic event, especially of a regime or an institution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A myth about the ultimate destruction of the gods in a battle with evil.
- n. An opera by Richard Wagner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. myth about the ultimate destruction of the gods in a battle with evil
From German Götterdämmerung ("twilight of the gods"), especially as the title of an opera by Wagner; by erroneously translating Old Norse ragnarök ("fate of the gods"), misconstrued as ragnarökkr ("twilight of the gods"). (Wiktionary)