from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of vernacular Indic dialects spoken in northern India.
- n. The literary and official language of northern India that is based on these dialects. It is written in Devanagari and uses Sanskrit as a resource language.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A language spoken in the Northern States of India. Also spoken in Fiji, Guyana and as a second language by Indians in many other countries. The word Hindi is borrowed from Persian into other languages.
- adj. Of or relating to the Hindi language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The name given by Europeans to that form of the Hindustani language which is chiefly spoken by native Hindus. In employs the Devanagari character, in which Sanskrit is written.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A modern dialect of northern India, differing from Hindustani in being a purer Aryan dialect. See Hindustani, Indian.
- n. A native of India.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the most widely spoken of modern Indic vernaculars; spoken mostly in the north of India; along with English it is the official language of India; usually written in Devanagari script
- adj. of or relating to or supporting Hinduism
Well, this week, the green theme continues, because green in Hindi is hara, an H word!
Green in Hindi is hara and hariyali translates as greenery.
MICHAEL VLASSOFF, U.N. POPULATION.FUN.: It's sort of the upper part of the north in what they call the Hindi belt where things aren't going so well and people are still having fairly large families.
K also represents a taste: Khatta in Hindi, meaning "tangy" or "sour".
The trailer for it is narrated in Hindi, features stock shots of floods and other disasters with Hindi script and a chroma-keyed shot of an Indian Max with six arms (a shiva) twirling drum sticks.
One of them once asked for water and the stewardess replied in Hindi, This is not my lane.
At that time I had a girlfriend who wanted her tea without any sugar, so I learned to say, in Hindi, two teas please, one no sugar.
It also has some parts in Hindi, where people ask political parties not field criminals.
The ad campaign is being aired in Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Bengali, Assamese and Oriya so that it can reach out to the masses.
The film is in Hindi and English, with English subtitles.