from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In geology, a term introduced by E. Suess to denote areas of the earth's surface which have acquired immobility and have served as buttresses against which surrounding areas have been pressed and dislocated in the general rupture and subsidence of the terrestrial crust.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a ridge of the earth's crust that has been forced upward between two faults and so is higher than the surrounding land


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.