from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An iron oxide used as a paint and cosmetic pigment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any of a variety of
redor purple pigmentscontaining ferric oxide, found in natural earthor made by chemicalmethods.
- noun The colour of Indian red pigment: a variety of dark, purplish reds.
- adjective Having the colour of Indian red pigment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a reddish-brown color resembling the red soil used as body paint by American Indians
- noun a red pigment composed in part from ferric oxide which is often used in paints and cosmetics
- noun a red soil containing ferric oxide; often used as a pigment
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[From the fact that earths containing the pigment are found in the East Indies.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
1672 pigment, c. 1810–27 colour and adjective. Indian + red, the pigment originally being an earth obtained from the East Indies.
Sorry, no example sentences found.