from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital of St. Helena in the southern Atlantic Ocean. Population: 637.
- A city of western New York on Chautauqua Lake near the Pennsylvania border. It is the trade center of a farming and grape-producing region. Population: 29,900.
- A former village of southeast Virginia, the first permanent English settlement in America. It was founded in May 1607 and named for the reigning monarch, James I. Jamestown became the capital of Virginia after 1619 but was almost entirely destroyed during Bacon's Rebellion (1676) and further declined after the removal of the capital to Williamsburg (1698-1700).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital of the island Saint Helena.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a former village on the James River in Virginia to the north of Norfolk; site of the first permanent English settlement in America in 1607
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Chautauqua County volunteers gather for kickoff of Appeal 2009 for Catholic Charities JAMESTOWN - About 55 parish workers, clergy and volunteers from Chautauqua County recently took part in a luncheon and volunteer training workshop at the Ironstone Restaurant in Jamestown.
JAMESTOWN - Author, speaker and recording artist Bonnie Keen will be appearing at Hillcrest Baptist Church in Jamestown on Easter Sunday, April 12 at
JAMESTOWN - The Robert H. Jackson Center and the Law, Youth and Citizenship Program of the New York State Bar Association have partnered to present a two-day youth education event in Jamestown on April 21 and 22.
JAMESTOWN 27TH ANNUAL SPRINT SHOOT-OUT TOURNAMENT: March 20 in Jamestown.
Jamestown is planning to redevelop the building into a mixed-use property with rental apartments, condos, retail and office space.
I have never been to New Jersey, but grew up in Jamestown, North Dakota.
Jake lives by himself in Jamestown, ND and does a lot of gardening.
So here I am, this revolutionary dyke descended from a puke in Jamestown, and it occurred to me that he was my ninth-great-grandfather -- that's what Aunt Lee had written.
Jamestown is one of the Litblog Co-op's Summer Read This! nominees.
A friend of mine runs a cattle ranch in Jamestown, California and I asked her to send me a cow pie so that I could burn it and see what it smelled like.