from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In the northern United States, a beetle of any one of the numerous species of the genus Lachnosterna, as L. fusca, common in the whole country.
- noun In the southern United States, a beetle very different from the preceding, Allorhina nitida, a large, smooth, greenish, species of the cetonian group of Scarabæidæ, which appears in June, and the larvæ of which resemble those of the northern June-bug in habits and appearance, being likewise known as white-grubs. See cut under
Allorhina. Also Juny-bug.
- noun One of various European beetles of the genus Rhinotrogus, related to Lachno-sterna.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoö.) See june beetle.
- noun Chiefly Northern U. S. A
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun any of various large usually brown North American leaf-eating beetles common in late spring; the larvae feed on roots of grasses etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.