from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A borough of northwest England east-northeast of Liverpool. Founded on the site of Celtic and Roman settlements, it was first chartered in 1301. Greater Manchester is densely populated and highly industrialized. The Manchester Ship Canal (completed in 1894) affords access for oceangoing vessels. Population: 394,000.
- A town of north-central Connecticut east of Hartford. It was settled in 1672. Population: 55,600.
- The largest city of New Hampshire, in the southeast part of the state on the Merrimack River north of Nashua. Incorporated as Derryfield in 1751 and renamed in 1810, it was an important textile center from the mid-1800s until the 1930s. Population: 109,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Major city in the north-west of England.
- proper n. Name of several towns and cities in the United States of America.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in northwestern England (30 miles to the east of Liverpool); heart of the most densely populated area of England
- n. largest city in New Hampshire; located in southeastern New Hampshire on the Merrimack river
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mark E Smith was presented with the MOJO Maverick Award on June 16th 2008 and has generously donated it to VICTIM SUPPORT, CITY OF MANCHESTER to raise funds for victims & witnesses of crime in Manchester.
ROGERS GOVENDER, DEAN OF MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL: What this does is utterly trivialize people's grief and makes something which is a really important issue in Manchester look as if it's nothing other than a game.
MANCHESTER, Conn (AP) - The town manager of Manchester, Conn. says a vigil to remember the victims of a deadly workplace shooting was a "good end to an awful, awful week."
MANCHESTER, NH - Senator Barack Obama today announced his comprehensive plan to provide a world-class education for all Americans in a major policy address, "Our Kids, Our Future," at Manchester Central High School in Manchester, NH. 4 of
MANCHESTER, NH - Senator Barack Obama today announced his comprehensive plan to provide a world-class education for all Americans in a major policy address, "Our Kids, Our Future," at Manchester Central High School in Manchester, NH. intro 1 of 13
MANCHESTER - The floor meeting portion of town meeting in Manchester this year may be different because of something that will be invisible to those running the meeting, but important to those who attend.
MANCHESTER - Iraqi voters sent a strong message to insurgents Sunday when they participated in the country's first independent elections in nearly 50 years, according to a Manchester resident who ran the election operations for the United Nations.
MANCHESTER - The man tapped by the United Nations to help oversee Iraq's first-ever elections later this month travels each week from Manchester to U.N. headquarters in New York City.
MANCHESTER, Iowa -- A Manchester man who's son is accused of cutting the man's pacemaker from his chest with a pocketknife has died.
MANCHESTER - Phoebe K. K.owles, 93, died April 5, 2010, at Equinox Terrace in Manchester.