from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fibre of the abaca.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the fiber of Musa textilis.
- n. A fibrous material obtained from the abaca plant (Musa textilis), a plant allied to the banana, growing in the Philippine and other East India islands; -- called also by the native name abaca. From it matting, canvas, ropes, and cables are made.
- n. A Philippine plant (Musa textilis) having leafstalks that yield Manila hemp used for rope and paper etc.; called also the abaca.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Philippine banana tree having leafstalks that yield Manila hemp used for rope and paper etc
- n. a kind of hemp obtained from the abaca plant in the Philippines
Manila + hemp (Wiktionary)