from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of numerous species of large lamellicorn beetles that appear in the winged state in May. They belong to Melolontha, and allied genera. Called also June beetle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cockchafer, Melolontha vulgaris. Also May-bug, May-chafer.
- n. A June-bug, Lachnosterna fusca, or other species of the same genus. See cuts under dor-bug and June-bug.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various large European beetles destructive to vegetation as both larvae and adult
- n. any of various large usually brown North American leaf-eating beetles common in late spring; the larvae feed on roots of grasses etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.