from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa. See Usage Note at race1.
- n. A member of this racial classification.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Characteristic of the negro.
- adj. Resembling the negro or negroes; of or pertaining to those who resemble the negro.
- n. A member of any one of several East African tribes whose physical characters show an admixture with other races.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling or akin to the negroes. Also negroöid.
- n. An individual of a negroid race, such as those of Micronesia, the Negritos of the Philippine Islands, and the mixed tribes of northeastern Africa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
- adj. characteristic of people traditionally classified as the Negro race
One Mongoloid female had been classified as Negroid.
In 2004 on a Yahoo group I engaged in a discussion with Dr. Mustafa Ansari, who contends that the discovery in Brazil of an 11,500 year‑old skull of a woman with "Negroid" features proves that African Americans were here first, and so all non‑black Americans owe reparations to African Americans.
He explained to the board, obviously unschooled in the nuance of racial slurs, that the word "Negroid" was offensive to many Negroes.
Crucially, they decided that "Negroid" and "Arab" were two different "races," the former considered indigenous (native) and the latter foreign
Southern Italians in particular, concluded Dorsey, were clearly of “Negroid” ancestry and therefore “of questionable value from a mental, moral, or physical standpoint.”
It is well understood that white men of that time considered the Negroid race inferior and childlike compared to whites.
There is such a thing as a Caucasian race, a Congoid (formerly know as Negroid) race, a Capoid race, a Mongoloid Race and Australoid race.
Used to be called Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid, but that is obsolete.
Unfortunately, many Latinos/Hispanics are in denial on racism existing with the Latino/Hispanic community based on skin color, hair texture, and European/Negroid features.
With Negro and Negroid, East Indian, Chinese, and Japanese they form two-thirds of the population of the world.