from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A historical region of eastern England bordering on the North Sea. Settled in prehistoric times, it was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of East Anglia. Its name means the "northern people,” as opposed to the "southern people” of Suffolk.
- An independent city of southeast Virginia on Hampton Roads southeast of Richmond. Founded in 1682 and today the largest city of Virginia, it has been a major naval base since the American Revolution. Population: 229,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A maritime county of eastern England bordered by Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Suffolk and the North Sea.
- proper n. A language of Norfolk Island, also spelt Norfuk.
- proper n. A town in Virginia or the naval base (the world's largest) situated there.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Short for norfolk jacket.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. port city located in southeastern Virginia on the Elizabeth River at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay; headquarters of the Atlantic fleet of the United States Navy
Sorry, no etymologies found.
NORFOLK, VIRGINIA Toland examined himself in the full-sized mirror in the Norfolk BOQ complex.
NORFOLK - Norfolk has a new schools superintendent.
NORFOLK - A man who attacked elderly people in their Norfolk homes last year was sentenced Friday to 80 years in prison.
NORFOLK -- A 100 - year tradition comes to an end in Norfolk.
NORFOLK -- A fire at a Norfolk marina has destroyed three boats and damaged at least three others.
NORFOLK -- Two rabid raccoons have been found in Norfolk.
NORFOLK - The Norfolk Public Library is hosting a reception Monday at 7 p.m. to recognize 10 outstanding women from Norfolk.
NORFOLK (AP) -- 11 suspected Somali pirates accused in separate attacks on two Norfolk-based Navy ships off the coast of Africa are due before a U.S. magistrate in Norfolk.
NORFOLK Eleven suspected Somali pirates accused in separate attacks on two Navy ships off the coast of Africa are due before a U.S. magistrate in Norfolk.
NORFOLK - A Norfolk woman pleaded guilty Tuesday to second degree murder in the death of her 10-month old daughter.