from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Northumbria or its Old English dialect.
- adj. Of or relating to the former or present-day county of Northumberland in northeast England.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Northumbria.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Northumberland.
- n. The Old English dialect of Northumbria.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The dialect spoken by Northumbrians.
- n. An inhabitant of the county of Northumberland in the Northeast of England.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Northumberland in England.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Northumbria or Northumberland, an old English kingdom which at its maximum power and extent reached from the river Humber northward to the Firth of Forth. It was the leading power in Great Britain during part of the seventh and eighth centuries.
- Of or pertaining to the modern county of Northumberland, occupying part of the old Northumbria.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Northumberland.
- n. The form of the Anglo-Saxon or English language spoken in Northumbria between the invasion of Britain in the fifth century and the Conquest.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He and Ray Sloan, who is linked at the "Northumbrian" link above, are not the only English pipe makers.
Indeed as Heslop soared past 50 to the roars of the crowd, a double bosun's chair (a kind of Northumbrian double buggy) seemed to be called for.
Scholars have named these emergent dialects of English after the kingdoms where they were spoken: West Saxon, Mercian, Northumbrian, and Kentish.
A working-class Northumbrian, Martin began as a coach painter.
When I have been walking in the Northumbrian hills and in the Highlands, the farther I go into remoteness, the fewer the birds.
As someone in another forum pointed out, it sets a record for including the most things in one story that delight me: steam locomotives, regional accents, British history, traditional costumes (don't blink or you'll miss 'em), and the train is met at Newcastle by a group playing Northumbrian small pipes. posted by John at 9: 52 PM
Northumbrian Water said it had noted the announcement from CKI, and its board confirmed it hasn't received any proposal that could result in an offer or possible offer.
Hong Kong-listed CKI said Monday it's in the preliminary stages of assessing a potential cash offer for Northumbrian Water, but there's no certainty that an offer will be forthcoming.
The potential takeover of Northumbrian Water comes as Hong Kong's richest man has been increasing his investments in the utility sector overseas—including in New Zealand, Australia and Canada—to broaden the earnings base of his companies, given the difficulties of expanding in Hong Kong's mature market.
HONG KONG—Utility and infrastructure company Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Ltd., controlled by Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-Shing , is considering making an offer for Northumbrian Water Group PLC in a deal that could value the U.K. water supplier at £2.6 billion $4.16 billion.