from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- English courtier and poet who is believed by some to have written Shakespeare's plays.
- A city of south-central England on the Thames River west-northwest of London. The internationally famous Oxford University, founded in the 1100s, still dominates the city center.
- A city of northern Mississippi south-southeast of Memphis, Tennessee. It is the seat of the University of Mississippi (“Ole Miss”), established in 1844, and was William Faulkner's home town.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun A city in
Englandfamous for its university.
- proper noun Oxford University
- noun A variety of
shoe, typically made of heavy leather.
- noun by ellipsis An Oxford
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
OXFORD, OH FOX19 — An Oxford, Ohio man charged with OVI on Halloween was wearing an appropriate costume.
The account of the death in Oxford of Rachel Parker Wesley, an aged colored woman, in last week's _Oxford Press_, has been closely read.
Principal of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, to a ballad of forty-two verses, entitled _The Cow of Haslemere, or The Conjurer's Secretary at Oxford_.
Returning to Oxford the next year from a journey on the Continent, he began, in cooperation with R.H. Froude and others, the publication of the Tracts for the Times, a series of pamphlets which gave a name to the Tractarian or Oxford movement for the defence of the doctrine of apostolical succession and the integrity of the Prayer-Book.
Cf. _Apollinis et Musarum [Greek text] _, Oxford, 1592, reprinted in _Elizabethan Oxford_ (Oxford Historical Society), edited by Charles
Oxford (Parker's _Early History of Oxford_, ed. 1885, p. 229).
OXFORD - If Google wants to bring the Internet to everyone in a community, the city of Oxford would like to roll out the welcome mat for them.
OXFORD - Reaction to the NFL's six-game suspension of former Miami RedHawk Ben Roethlisberger on Wednesday, April 21, was mixed on the Oxford campus.
OXFORD - The quantity of Grateful Dead stickers on cars parked at campsites at the Oxford
OXFORD, Ohio -- The family of a man who died after he was stunned with a Taser in 2008 filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against Oxford police and the company that manufactures the weapons.