from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a tribe of Franks who settled in the Rhine region of the Netherlands in the fourth century A.D.
- n. A Salian Frank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of a Frankish people of the 4th century who lived on the Ijssel river.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Salian people.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Denoting a tribe of Franks who established themselves early in the fourth century on the river Sala [now Yssel]; Salic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to a tribe of Franks settled along the lower Rhine near the North Sea. See Franconian and Frank.
- n. A member of this tribe of Franks.
- Of or pertaining to the Salii or priests of Mars in ancient Rome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the tribe of Franks who settled in the Netherlands in the 4th century AD
Thus much, of their 'Salian' epithet may be enough; but from the interpretation of the Frankish one we are still as far as ever, and must be content, in the meantime, to stay so, noting however two ideas afterwards entangled with the name, which are of much descriptive importance to us.
But _this_ invasion of the so-called Salian Franks, never retreats again.]
The real Caramon looked wildly at Par-Salian, but the mage only shook his head and-wordlessly-pointed back to the image that wavered before Caramon's eyes.
"We are not in the business of murder," Par-Salian said in his soft voice.
He was probably the only White or Red-Robed mage on Krynn, with the possible exception of the great Par-Salian himself, who could say that.
Ignoring Par-Salian, Caramon took a step forward, determined to end his brother's suffering.
"Your brother believes it is," Par-Salian said softly.
"Not only would you die," Par-Salian continued, "but your comrades, those who depend on you, might they also die because of your incompetence?"
Once I have what has been promised me, not even the great Par-Salian will have the power to face mel But that's none of your concern.
Ashok Salian and Me at Shivaji Park Dasshera, originally uploaded by firoze shakir photographerno1.