from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of western California on a peninsula between the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay, an inlet of the Pacific. A Spanish presidio and mission were founded here in 1776. The first settlement was known as Yerba Buena, and the name was changed to San Francisco after control of the town passed to the United States in 1846. Discovery of gold nearby in 1848 changed the city from a small community into a thriving boom town known for its lawlessness and bawdy amusements. The city was all but destroyed by a devastating earthquake and fire on April 18, 1906. Population: 744,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A major coastal city in California of over 800,000 widely known for its unique culture, architecture, and homosexual population
- proper n. The extinct culture of the city of the same name also known as the Ramaytush
- proper n. Any place or institution named after St. Francis
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a port in western California near the Golden Gate that is one of the major industrial and transportation centers; it has one of the world's finest harbors; site of the Golden Gate Bridge
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Giants 10, Mets 1 San Francisco New Yorkab r h biab r h biVelez lf 5 1 2 1 Sullivn cf4 1 2
The city of Quito, formerly known as San Francisco de Quito, capital of the Republic of Ecuador, is situated 14 'south of the Equator, and
August 16th, 2009 Giants 5, Mets 4, 10 innings San Francisco New Yorkab r h biab r h biVelez lf 5 0 0 0 Sullivn cf5 1 1 1FSnchz 2b 5 1 1 0 LCastill 2b4 2 3 0Sandovl 3b 4 2 3 1 DWrght 3b1
Mets 6, Giants 4 San Francisco New Yorkab r h biab r h biRownd cf 5 0 2 2 Pagan cf4 0 0
Joe Martinez won close to home and the San Francisco Giants routed a makeshift New York Mets team 10-1 on Monday night to split their four-game series.
Parnell sharp as Mets beat GiantsNEW YORK - Bobby Parnell pitched six crisp innings in his second major league start and the New York Mets opened an important homestand with a 3-0 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Friday night.
May 8th, 2010 Blanco's HR gives Mets 5-4 victoryNEW YORK - Henry Blanco hit a leadoff homer in the 11th inning, New York's second game-ending drive by a catcher in less than a day, and the Mets beat the San Francisco Giants
Murphy hits RBI single in ninth for 3-2 Mets winNEW YORK - Daniel Murphy hit a game-ending RBI single in the ninth inning, Luis Castillo made up for David Wright's absence with a rare two-run homer and the scrappy New York Mets beat the San Francisco Giants 3-2 on Sunday.
In what became known as the “earthquake series,” after tremors at La Prada rocked the Bay area, Oakland took on its cross-bay rivals, the San Francisco Giants, for the world championship.
Totals32 6 8 6 San Francisco 001 020 001-4New York 120 100 002-6One out when winning run scored.