from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A country in the Apennines near the Adriatic Sea. It is surrounded by Italy and is the world's smallest republic. Traditionally founded in the fourth century A.D., San Marino was recognized by the papacy in 1631 and has maintained its independence, with a few brief interruptions, ever since. It signed a treaty of friendship with Italy in 1862, was allied with Italy in World Wars I and II, and was bombed by the Allied forces in 1944. The city of San Marino is its capital. The country's population is 28,600; the city's, 4,300.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country in Europe, located within the borders of Italy. Official name: Republic of San Marino.
- proper n. The capital city of San Marino.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the capital and only city of San Marino
- n. the smallest republic in the world; the oldest independent country in Europe (achieved independence in 301); located in the Apennines and completely surrounded by Italy
• Referring to the San Marino grand prix at Imola in 1994, we should have had Michael Schumacher driving for Benetton, not Ferrari.
Meanwhile, the Netherlands, a finalist in South Africa and currently ranked No. 2 in the world, faces San Marino, which is ranked 200 places lower.
BASBANES: It in San Marino, which is right next to Pasadena, 11 miles outside of LA, right.
I should not wonder if some of your readers were less acquainted with this Western Behemoth of a State than with the republic of San Marino, which is about as large as a pocket handkerchief.
Men can expect to live longest in the tiny state of San Marino, which is surrounded by Italy.
The Dutch should have an easy task at home to San Marino, which is without a point or a goal after seven matches, but Sweden is only three points adrift in second and will look to keep the pressure on when it travels to third-place Hungary.
We went to San Marino, which is another super touristy area, filled with over-priced food and shopping ventures.
The governing body of European football has encouraged countries such as San Marino and Lichtenstien to join football's international community because every new member increases Europe's power within FIFA, the global governing body.
Tony communities such as San Marino and South Pasadena which abut the highway route have long protested construction.
[[File: Flag of San Marino. jpg | thumb | 200px | Flag of San Marino]] '' 'San Marino' '' is a tiny [[Europe]] an country.