from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The bureaucratic, authoritarian exercise of state power and mechanistic application of Marxist-Leninist principles associated with Stalin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The Communist philosophies espoused by Soviet Leader Josef Stalin.
- n. The act or state of living in accord with the communist philosophies of Stalin.
- n. Totalitarianism, by extension from the rigid governing methods of Stalin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The blind spot on the liberal-left with regard to the moral implications of Stalinism is still a tremendously embarrassing part of their intellectual history.
No. The secret of Stalinism is that both insulting the leader, and insulting his enemies is equally dangerous.
The reference to Stalinism is a bit off in my opinion.
What you call Stalinism is the natural progression FJ said ... jm,
Stalinism is the rule of the Steel Plant Factory Union Boss.
Stalinism, which is a personalization of the Soviet regime during one era, and then to compare it with Nazism, which was the ideology of
Gray bases his assessment of the two works he reviews on the argument that there is some essential linkage between Leninism and Stalinism, which is a separate debate and not one I want to resurrect here.
Well the response to that kind of Stalinism is to get rid of the filibuster and move to a majority voting requirement.
The Obama hero worship practiced by so many surely cannot be denied, even by the most ardent detractors who instead refer to it as a "cult of personality" (a perverse reference to Stalinism which is cynically invoked with full awareness of its comparative inaccuracy).
Boris Souvarine concludes his survey of "Stalinism" by affirming that it "is the very negation of classical socialism and communism."