from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A village of southeast New York on the Hudson River north of New City. Its blockhouse, captured by British troops in May 1779, was retaken in July by Gen. Anthony Wayne's forces. Population: 15,000.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Washington had also begun construction of two redoubts just below the highlands—at Stony Point on the west side of the Hudson and at Verplanck’s Point on the east—to guard the mountain passes and the key crossing at King’s Ferry.
The anticipated arrival of another French fleet and army obliged Clinton to evacuate Newport in October, bring off the garrisons from Stony Point and Verplanck’s Point which he had therefore refortified in vain, and concentrate his forces at New York.