from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A historical region of eastern England bordering on the North Sea. Settled in prehistoric times, it was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of East Anglia. Its name means the "southern people,” as opposed to the "northern people” of Norfolk.
- An independent city of southeast Virginia southeast of Portsmouth, it was burned by the British in 1779 and occupied by Union forces in 1862. Population: 81,100.
- n. Any of an English breed of hornless sheep with black face and black legs, raised for high-quality mutton.
- n. Any of a breed of English draft horses of a chestnut color, having short legs and a thickset heavy body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A maritime county in the east of England bordered by Norfolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire and the North Sea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A breed of small, black pigs, named from the English shire in which it originated. The animals grow quickly and yield a large proportion of lean meat.
JILL KORWIN, SUFFOLK COUNTY TRADING STANDARDS OFFICER: We now have just over 2,000 square kilometers within Suffolk and also going up into Norfolk, which is to have been designated as a restricted zone.
SUFFOLK - Suffolk officials say a man died after jumping from a cell phone tower.
SUFFOLK -- A Suffolk woman had her young niece with her as she rammed her car into another one, according to police.
SUFFOLK - A power outage left a many Suffolk homes, schools and businesses without power
SUFFOLK - An alleged ill-timed potty break has landed a man accused of robbing a Suffolk convenience store behind bars.
SUFFOLK - A man was killed early Monday on a Suffolk road in a single-vehicle accident.
SUFFOLK - The pastor of a church in Suffolk was assaulted earlier this week by a man who had come to her church seeking food.
SUFFOLK - The city of Suffolk is asking for citizens to provide input into the development of the city's budget for the fiscal year 2010-11.
SUFFOLK -- A Suffolk couple face murder charges stemming from the starvation death of their baby daughter last year.
SUFFOLK -- A Suffolk father is facing two charges of felony child neglect after allegedly leaving his two young children at a convenience store on New Year's Eve and going to an ABC store.