from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Sylviidae — the typical warblers.
- proper n. A female given name, a popular spelling variant of Silvia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology: A genus of small dentirostral or turdoid oscine passerine birds, typical of the family Sylviidæ; the warblers proper.
- n. [lowercase] A warbler; a species of the genus Sylvia, or some similar bird.
- n. In entomology: A genus of dipterous insects.
- n. A genus of arachnidans.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Philander, Sylvia, and Brilliard) it was not hard for the lover to steal into the longing arms of the expecting _Sylvia_; no fatigues of tedious journeys, and little voyages, had abated her fondness, or his vigour; the night was like the first, all joy!
Better to call it by its traditional title, since no one else would be able to identify her mother's blue-and-white quilt with the nickname Sylvia and Claudia had given it.
She also had a solo hit, under the name Sylvia, in spring of 1973 with her own composition "Pillow Talk."
Sylvia is old, a little crude, a fair distance from fetching, and in need of an extension on her mortgage payments.
Eva's mother, Sylvia, is the tour guide, and they really do a good job on the whole Hugenot thing, and the "Berch" thing.
Sylvia is loud-mouthed and obnoxious and Jackie is domestic and coarse.
Unless Sylvia is a telepath, she will have no more idea what Fred's thoughts are than you know what random passersby in the street are thinking.
But Sylvia is still not going to know what happened to Fred in his chapter unless Sylvia was present or unless Fred or another character tells her.
Later, during a discussion with National Public Radio senior correspondent and Fox News contributor Juan Williams about the effect of rap on culture, O'Reilly asserted: There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.'
Some days I feel like Sylvia is my surrogate mother, and some days my surrogate sister, which makes Evan my surrogate brother or surrogate nephew.