from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The abysmal regions below Hades where the Titans were confined.
- n. An infernal region; hell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. a dark and gloomy part of the realm of Hades, reserved for the damned, the wicked, such as the Titans, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. The infernal regions, described in the Iliad as situated as far below Hades as heaven is above the earth, and by later writers as the place of punishment for the spirits of the wicked. By the later poets, also, the name is often used synonymously with Hades, or the Lower World in general.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A deep and sunless abyss, according to Home and the earlier Greek mythology as far below Hades as earth is below heaven.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a place where the wicked are punished after death
The Titans were then imprisoned in Tartarus, the deepest part of the underworld, with the few exceptions being those who didn't fight with Kronos.
The nasty one, a cursed land of screaming, flames, and punishment, was known as the Tartarus Plains.
22 A detailed and most curious account of this region, which he calls Tartarus, is given by Angustine.
When Cronus came to power he imprisoned the Cyclopes in Tartarus.
After rescuing and raising a young girl named LILY—who along with her brother, ALEXANDER, was the latest in a long line of gifted Oracles from Siwa in Egypt—Jack managed to set the Capstone in place on the summit of the Great Pyramid before the occurrence of a rare solar event known as the Tartarus Rotation.
The Greeks call it Tartarus, a place even worse than Hades; the Hebrews, Gehenna or Sheol; for Islam it is Jahannam; in China and Japan it is referred to as Di Yu; the Buddhists and Hindus call it Naraka.
In the end, the only way to save humankind was for the Fates to lock their sisters into a prison land called Tartarus.
The Furies are trapped in a place called Tartarus.
When Cronus came to power among the Titans, he imprisoned the Cyclopes in Tartarus.
Hellboy is swallowed by Leviathin, a rookie psychometric has to read a demon after Liz battles angels, and the veteran field team end up in Tartarus.