from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Lauraceae — the California laurel or Oregon myrtle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A genus of deep-sea alcyonaria consisting of a cluster of large flowerlike polyps situated at the summit of a long, slender stem which stands upright in the mud, supported by a bulbous base.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of apetalous trees, of the order Laurineæ and tribe Litseaceæ.
- n. In zoology, a genus of deepsea alcyonarian polyps, having the polypites clustered in an umbel on top of the polypidom, and a long slender stalk somewhat bulbous at the base, as in U. encrinus or U. grœnlandica.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. aromatic evergreen trees of Pacific coast
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Other noteworthy species include: Douglas fir Pseudotsuga menziesii, western hemlock Tsuga heterophylla, tan oak Lithocarpus densiflorus, grand fir Abies grandis, Sitka spruce Picea sitchensis, madrone Arbutus menziesii, big leaf maple Acer macrophyllum, California laurel/bay Umbellularia californica, of which the tallest stands occur on the alluvial flats and terraces along larger streams.
California Bay California bay leaves come from an entirely different tree, the California native Umbellularia californica.