from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A slightly hooked or blunt nail—that is, a hoof, as of the horse, ox, etc.; also, a claw or nail of any kind; a talon.
- noun In geometry, a part cut off from a cylinder, cone, etc., by a plane passing obliquely through the base and part of the curved surface: so named from its resemblance to the hoof of a horse.
- noun In surgery, an instrument for extracting a dead fetus from the womb.
- noun In botany, same as
- noun [capitalized] [NL. (Pander, 1830).] A genus of brachiopods: same as
Obolus, 3, and Ungulites.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A hoof, claw, or talon.
- noun (Geom.) A section or part of a cylinder, cone, or other solid of revolution, cut off by a plane oblique to the base; -- so called from its resemblance to the hoof of a horse.
- noun (Bot.) Same as
- noun (Geom.) a part of a sphere bounded by two planes intersecting in a diameter and by a line of the surface of the sphere.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Ungula, egilops, cataracta and macula are species of pannus, all arising from the same causes and cured by the same treatment."