from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to Universalism: as, Universalist views.
- noun One who, professing the Christian faith, believes that all mankind will eventually be redeemed from sin and suffering, and brought back to holiness and God.
- noun [lowercase] One who affects to understand everything.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to Unversalists of their doctrines.
- noun (Theol.) One who believes in Universalism; one of a denomination of Christians holding this faith.
- noun obsolete One who affects to understand all the particulars in statements or propositions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A follower of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of or relating to or tending toward universalism
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For to be a Universalist is oftentim [e] s only to have a pretext for not being a christian.
Can anyone add or change, confirm, etc what was the first church with the name Universalist?
It has never identified as Universalist and reports everywhere that it is
I'm just trying to figure out what interpretation of "Universalist" you're using, if you think it means embracing and loving less than the whole universe.
"Universalist" sounds too hippy and/or wishy-washy.
His theology was Arian and 'Universalist' (i.e. holding the doctrine of a final universal salvation); his Anti-Calvinism came out forcibly in his protests against the revivalist excesses.
I am not clear how this could be achieved unless you match religion and culture (or perhaps only allow families that are Unitarian Universalist, although that could even be a mismatch if the background of the child is a fundamental branch of organized religion).
Why then did I encourage my church, Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church to make a special offering to help NAMCC build their Mosque?
As a Unitarian Universalist I worship at the altar of everyone and no one.
As a Universalist, I believe that whatever you believe in or believe to be God is correct.