from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A wide triangular knot of a particular sort in a necktie.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a wide triangular slipknot for tying a tie


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • To solve the problem, the wardrobe people instructed me to have all my shirts made with an extra-wide collar with near-horizontal lines and to use a wide Windsor knot when I tied my tie—anything, they said, to fill the gap between my lapels and reduce the appearance of the width of my shoulders.

    An American Life


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.