from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Music Without instrumental accompaniment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In alla breve time.
- adj. alla breve.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- In church or chapel style; -- said of compositions sung in the old church style, without instrumental accompaniment.
- A time indication, equivalent to alla breve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the style of church or chapel music.
- n. In music, noting a species of time which employs four minims or half-notes in each measure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. without musical accompaniment
- adj. sung without instrumental accompaniment
Next morning outside the hotel two ancient sisters in long overcoats, one tall, one short, stand on the pavement singing folksongs in a cappella harmony.
The lyrics to one of my favorite songs, More Than a Paycheck, by the a cappella group Sweet Honey in the Rock, go like this: We bring more than a paycheck to our loved ones and families...