from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To transfer the title of from one to another; to alienate.
- v. this sense?) (obsolete) To estrange; to cause alienation of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To transfer the title of from one to another; to alienate.
- transitive v. To estrange; to withdraw.
- transitive v. To cause alienation of (mind).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In civil law, to transfer the title of from one to another; make over to another, as goods.
- To estrange or wholly withdraw.
From Latin abaliēnātus, perfect passive participle of abaliēnō ("alienate; remove"); from ab- ("by, from; away") + aliēnō ("alienate, estrange"); from aliēnus ("foreign, alien"), from alius ("other, another"). (Wiktionary)