from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An animal that has no gills.
- adjective Having no gills.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Devoid of gills; of or pertaining to the Abranchia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Without gills.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective zoology Without
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective having no gills
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Yet in captivity by reducing the quantity of water in which it is placed the young Axolotl can be forced to breathe air, and then it undergoes complete metamorphosis to the abranchiate condition.