from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To convert or become converted to acetic acid or vinegar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To convert into acid or vinegar.
- v. To turn acid - Encyc. Dom. Econ
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To turn acid.
- transitive v. To convert into acid or vinegar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To convert into vinegar; make acetous.
- To become acetous; be converted into vinegar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make sour or more sour
- v. turn acidic
From Latin acetum ("vinegar") + -fy or Back-formation from acetification. (Wiktionary)
The warmer the temperature up to around 85°F/30°C and the larger the surface area exposed to the air, the faster the liquid will acetify.