from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A decrease in or an absence of bile secretion.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In pathology, deficiency or want of bile.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Med.) Deficiency or lack of bile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun medicine Deficiency or want of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a condition in which little or no bile is secreted or the flow of bile into the digestive tract is obstructed
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[New Latin : a– + Greek kholē, bile; see ghel- in Indo-European roots.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From New Latin, from Ancient Greek ἀ- (a-, "not") + χολή (kholē, "bile")
_acholia_; the patient is actually poisoned by the non-removal of those ingredients from the blood which it is the duty of the liver to remove.