from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inflammatory disease of cattle, hogs, and sometimes humans, caused by microorganisms of the genus Actinomyces and characterized by lumpy tumors of the mouth, neck, chest, and abdomen. Also called lumpy jaw.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An infectious bacterial disease of cattle and swine, sometimes transmitted to man, characterized by the formation of painful abscesses in the mouth, lungs, or gastrointestinal tract.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A chronic infectious disease of cattle and man due to infection with actinomycetes, especially by Actinomyces bovis in cattle and by Actinomyces israeli or Arachnia propionica in man. It is characterized by hard swellings usually in the mouth and jaw. In man the disease may also affect the abdomen or thorax. Called also lumpy jaw or big jaw.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A progressive inflammatory affection caused by the presence of actinomycetes, occurring in cattle and swine, and sometimes in man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. disease of cattle that can be transmitted to humans; results from infection with actinomycetes; characterized by hard swellings that exude pus through long sinuses
Sorry, no etymologies found.
-- It is a lamentable fact that some, at least, of the United States herds of prong-horned antelope are afflicted with a very deadly chronic infective disease known as actinomycosis, or lumpy-jaw.
Another disease caused by a fungus is “actinomycosis”, which in cattle and other animals is called “lumpy jaw”.
In actinomycosis there are usually severe swellings and abscesses in the mouth and other parts of the body.
From there I can cause actinomycosis, mostly in your mouth "lumpy jaw", gut and lungs.
It is a rare condition. actinomycosis is a natural inhabitant of our mouths.
_The specific cause_ of actinomycosis is commonly known as the ray fungus
Conditions that favor bruising of the jaw and external wounds favor the development of actinomycosis.
The cows are known to be free from tuberculosis, actinomycosis (lumpy jaw), and foot and mouth disease.
My mother was suffering from a very grave illness (actinomycosis).
_Esophageal actinomycosis_ has been autoptically discovered.