from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that activates, especially a device responsible for actuating a mechanical device, such as one connected to a computer by a sensor link.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that actuates something else, especially a mechanism that causes a device to be switched on or off
- n. The mechanism that moves the head assembly on a disk drive
- n. A relay that controls the flow of electricity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who actuates, or puts into action.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which actuates or puts in action.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mechanism that puts something into automatic action
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The motor and 5: 1 gearbox are Swiss made, and the rudder actuator is sensitive to 64-steps, allowing 180-degree turns within a 12-foot-wide room.
BGW: how about the word actuator instead of trigger with respect to Mr. Redneckerson...it carries more of the engineer chic that is so popular with the kids these days.
Applying a voltage between the indium-tin-oxide coating and the film can cause it to bend downward, into the groove in the plastic: the film becomes an "actuator" - the moving part in a MEMS.
The ribbed thing in this photo is one end of a Von Weise actuator, which is designed to tilt the dish left and right, to point at different satellites.
There's an included pamphlet with a paragraph each devoted to "actuator," "worm gear" and "motor," but I understand dictionaries also contain those words, and are much more efficient at killing bugs to boot.
Ultrasonic motors (USM) are a new type actuator which is based on the concept of driving the rotor by a mechanical vibration excited on the stator via piezoelectric effect.
For example: If I'm working on the "actuator" visibility states, I don't want my valve type to change if a person wants to use a different actuator, therefore, I will select every element that is not an actuator.
Bovier said the parts for the project should cost less than $1,000, the most expensive part being the DC actuator which is a component in the unlocking and opening mechanism.
Sounds to me like the problem is with the valve's external actuator assembly and not with the valve's "trim", or internal components. gtex
If we lose only one actuator, we can still continue.