from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To divide and distribute proportionally; apportion.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To ascertain the dimensions, size, or capacity of; measure.
- In law, to survey and lay off a due portion to, as of dower in real estate or of pasture held in common. This was formerly done by writ of admeasurement, directed to the sheriff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To measure.
- transitive verb (Law) To determine the proper share of, or the proper apportionment
- transitive verb The measure of a thing; dimensions; size.
- transitive verb (Law) Formerly, the adjustment of proportion, or ascertainment of shares, as of dower or pasture held in common. This was by writ of
admeasurement, directed to the sheriff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive To
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb determine the quantity of someone's share
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
The entry in the Argyll and Bute volume of Buildings of Scotland ends with the words, “… the extent to which architecture and landscape together admeasure the sublime.”
In order to be able to admeasure this sufficiently, prehistoric studies are advisable, nay, necessary.