from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A hangnail.
- noun A painful sore or swelling around a fingernail or toenail.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A corn on the toe or toot.
- noun A painful swelling or sore under or about the toe- or finger-nails; a whitlow.
- noun A hangnail; a small piece of partly separated skin at the root of a nail or beside it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete A corn on the toe or foot.
- noun An inflammation or sore under or around the nail; also, a hangnail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun obsolete A
cornor soreon the toeor finger.
Torn skinnear a toenailor fingernail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a loose narrow strip of skin near the base of a fingernail; tearing it produces a painful sore that is easily infected
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English angnail, corn, from Old English angnægl : ang-, painful; see angh- in Indo-European roots + nægl, peg, nail; see nail.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Middle English agnail, from Old English angnægl.
Sorry, no example sentences found.