from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hangnail.
- n. A painful sore or swelling around a fingernail or toenail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A corn or sore on the toe or finger.
- n. Torn skin near a toenail or fingernail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A corn on the toe or foot.
- n. An inflammation or sore under or around the nail; also, a hangnail.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A corn on the toe or toot.
- n. A painful swelling or sore under or about the toe- or finger-nails; a whitlow.
- n. A hangnail; a small piece of partly separated skin at the root of a nail or beside it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a loose narrow strip of skin near the base of a fingernail; tearing it produces a painful sore that is easily infected
Middle English angnail, corn, from Old English angnægl : ang-, painful; see angh- in Indo-European roots + nægl, peg, nail; see nail.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English agnail, from Old English angnægl. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.