from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An enclosure filled with air for a special purpose.
- n. A chamber, especially in a hydraulic system, in which air elastically compresses and expands to regulate the flow of a fluid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a chamber, in a hydraulic system, in which air (or some other gas) is compressed to regulate the flow of a fluid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A chamber or cavity filled with air, in an animal or plant.
- A cavity containing air to act as a spring for equalizing the flow of a liquid in a pump or other hydraulic machine.
- n. See Air chamber, in the Vocabulary.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.