from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In ichthyology, a small lateral bone of the cranium.
- Of or pertaining to the greater wing of the sphenoid bone.
- noun One of the bones of the skull, forming by fusion with other cranial bones, in adult life, a great part of the compound sphenoid bone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Anat.) Pertaining to or forming the wing of the sphenoid; relating to a bone in the base of the skull, which in the adult is often consolidated with the sphenoid
- noun (Anat.) The alisphenoid bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun anatomy the greater
wingof the sphenoid bone
- adjective anatomy Relating to or forming the
wingof the sphenoid bone.
- adjective anatomy Relating to a bone in the base of the
skull, which in the adult is often consolidatedwith the sphenoid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
She had spoken to him first over a difficulty about the alisphenoid of a rabbit's skull, and he had found that, in biology at least, he had no reason for self-abasement.
"Incisors 4/2; at birth 6/2; the outer upper incisor soon lost; the next pair very small, placed directly behind the large middle pair; their enamel continuous round the tooth, but much thinner behind; skull with the optic foramina confluent, with no true alisphenoid canal; incisive foramina usually confluent; bony palate reduced to