from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb & adjective In cut time.
- noun The sign indicating that a passage is to be played in cut time.
from The Century Dictionary.
- In music, an expression understood to denote— a species of time in which every bar contains a breve, or four minims; or a rhythm of two or four beats to a bar, but taken at a rate of movement twice as fast as if the piece were simply marked with the sign of common time. The sign for alla breve time is .
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Old Church Music) With one
breve, or four minims, to measure, and sung faster like four crotchets; in quick common time; -- indicated in the time signature by �.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun music a
time signaturewhen the half noteis the beatand there are two beats per measure
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a musical time signature indicating two or four half notes to a measure
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Italian : alla, according to the + breve, breve.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.