from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A place in a church reserved for persons leading congregational responses.
- noun A group of ardent worshipers in a church.
- noun Informal A group of uncritical supporters of a leader, party, or policy, especially a controversial one.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun a place in some Methodist churches, usually at one side of the pulpit, where formerly sat the deacons who led the responsive ‘amens’ during the service.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun area reserved for persons leading the responsive `amens'
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.