from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The union of the sperm and egg in sexual reproduction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sexual reproduction
- n. The union of a male and female gamete
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, the mingling of the hereditary tendencies of the two parents in sexual reproduction, considered abstractly, as distinct from amphigony or the reproductive process.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. reproduction involving the union or fusion of a male and a female gamete
- n. union of sperm and egg in sexual reproduction
He attributed variation partly to the union of gametes containing various determinants, which he termed amphimixis: this, however, would introduce nothing new.
This is the harmony of counterparts and constitutes the best basis of psychic amphimixis.
Kondrashov AS (1993) Classification of hypotheses on the advantage of amphimixis.
Find this article online] # Kondrashov AS (1993) Classification of hypotheses on the advantage of amphimixis.